Monday, February 21, 2011

Panir Pies by Tom

Obviously, I made this with shop-bought paneer and puff pastry. I'm sure the experience would be heightened with homemade - but not as convenient for working/busy parents!

Fry a pinch of hing and cayenne in a little olive oil. Add a small amount of passata or chopped tomatoes (1/4 can). of course, you could substitute the tomatoes for a teaspoon o...f tomato puree..

Prepare 1/2 pint of gravy like substance (!) for this i just use 1/2 teaspoon of marmite and 1/2 teaspoon vegetable bouillon. Add this to the tomatoes and little it reduce a little. I have added a little homemade mixed veg puree before, which was a good way of sneaking some extra veg into Tom! Obviously you can add whatever filling you like!

Chop roughly 100g of paneer into small cubes. After the sauce has reduced, add the paneer and let it cook on a medium/low heat so it can absorb some of the sauce.

Turn your oven on to 180c (roughly 375f). I use a shop-bought pre-rolled sheet of puff pastry (375g). Divide it evenly into six oblong shapes. I prepare the pies on a greased baking sheet, as generally the paneer is too warm and spoils if moved. I add the paneer onto one half of the oblong, folding the other half on top and crimping the edges with my fingers. Obviously you could decorate the pie, or make different shapes - but i just keep it simple (I score a few holes on the top and brush the pastry with a little oil).

Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment