Monday, February 21, 2011

Vitality Broth/Nutritional Yeast Soup by Sadie

This was the one I did: Sadie's Vitality Broth, from Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak and I'll post it "as is":

6 cups water
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (about 1 1/2 cups) rinsed well and drained
4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp minced, fresh... parsley or 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp toasted sesame oil or corn oil (I always u...se the sesame)
1 tsp onion granules (I skip this)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp garlic granules (I usually just skip this but sometimes will add asofetida)
1/8 tsp turmeric
3/4 cup orzo or any other uncooked small pasta of your choice

Place all the ingredients except the pasta in a 4 1/2 quart saucepan or Dutch oven, and bring them to a boil. Add the pasta to the boiling mixture, and stir well. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.

(Now as you will all discover soon enough, I am a lazy cook and since I am willing to eat the chickpeas out of the can I see no reason to drag the whole thing out. Once my water and ingredients are boiling, I just add my pasta and cook it just as I would normally cook pasta...none of that simmering nonsense, lol, cuts the cooking time literally in half.)

No comments:

Post a Comment