Monday, February 21, 2011

Penne Pasta with Butternut Squash, Toasted Hazelnuts and Goat Cheese by Audrey

I am so embarrassed. Rohini Dasi, your fault. But here we go. This is so simple but it was so good that I have been sort of obsessing over it for a few weeks... so I will share. I hope I don't over-do the "instructions".

Penne Pasta with Butternut Squash, Toasted Hazelnuts, and Goat Cheese

(you know, the title is pretty self-explanatory, but......)

I cut the butternut squash into long quarters and baked with lots of butter and sea salt until it was well done but not squashy. I mean, of course it was squashy, 'cause it was squash, but you know what I'm saying.

I cooked the penne al dente and tossed with olive oil after draining so it didn't get gummy while i was busy with the topping.

Then I sauteed minced garlic in olive oil, med low, until the bits got a little toasty, and then threw in a large handful of chopped hazelnuts and tossed them all together until the hazelnuts were lightly browned. I bet using ghee here would be excellent.

I cubed the cooked squash and tossed everything together, salted to taste, and then topped it with this amazing aged local goat cheese that we have here (but any good cheese, i think, would be amazing. we like strong cheese but i'm sure something milder would still be great) and then broiled it for a minute to get it all hot and melty. My kids loved it, my hubs loved it, and it was super good cold the next day.

Ok, the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment