Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Upma by Jayada Radhika

SVS Upma
I don't know what they do now, but this was the upma that was offered to Radha Londonisvara every morning for breakfast when my Mom was the head cook. It is part one of a 2 part recipe, so to speak (there are two versions of this upma depending on what veggies you use.)

Chaunce: cumin pwd, coriander pwd, hing, black pepper and tumeric. A...dd 1 cup semolina to 1/2 cup butter and fry grains 'til golden.
Meanwhile, bring 3 1/2 cups water to a boil with salt (careful not to over salt!). When grains are golden, add enough water so it is not dry, stirring all the time. Add more if needed, it makes it fluffy. I find I use it all but I add it in 3-4 parts. Add your pre-cooked veges and stir in. Do not over cook! No more then 2 mins.

You can use veges such as potato, cauliflower, cabbage, peas, green beans and tomatoes. All veges should be cut small. Peas can be left whole. ;o) Offer and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment