Monday, February 21, 2011

Poppy Seed Muffins by Rohini

While we are talking about intoxicants I thought I'd share my poppy seeds muffins. I know not everyone is a fan of poppy seeds, or at least not in this quantity, but these make me happy. Also, when I just had a very colicy new baby, once I ate basically a whole tray of these (Gaurangi and my husband didn't like them so I ate 10, I believe. Kripa will understand.) These are "fat free", although, obviously, the poppy seeds provide the fat. You can use either black or white poppy seeds, both will yeald completely different results. Don't make the batter too wet.

1 1/2 c flour
1 C poppy seeds, measured before grinding 
1/2-1 cup sugar (the original recipe is 1 cup, but some like it less sweet, so use anywhere from half cup to a cup)
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 T sour cream
1 1/2 c milk

Mix, bake at 350F in muffin pans. You can also make it as a loaf (skinny long loaf pans are best) and serve it with lemon butter, or butter and apricot jam.

And for those who have a grain mill - mine did an amazing job grinding the poppy seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment