Monday, February 21, 2011

Gluten by Ekavali


It's a special type of flour. I had my Mom bring it from the States. She got it in her grocery store, but its a swanky one (Wegmans). It's definitely at the health food store though. I rarely measure so this is estimates here. I mixed about 1 cup vitale wheat gluten flour with about 1/4 cup nutritional yeast..., 3 tbsp. peanut butter, 1 tsp. tomato paste, little salt and herbs of your choice ( I did Italian). Mix that well together, then add water. I do a bit at a time and just keep adding. Its kind of magical the way it shapes up, you'll understand when you do it. Knead it like chappati dough for about 5-10 min. The more you knead the chewier the texture. Then let sit 10 minutes. Put water in a pot, add a little tamari or soy sauce and bring to boil. Knead gluten a bit more, then cut into slices or chunks and place in boiling water. Reduce to simmer and cook for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour. For this BBQ gluten let it cool, Squeezed a bit of the excess water and dipped in plain flour just to give a fine coating and then deep fried. Then I coated it with store bought BBQ sauce and placed it in the oven on broil for about 5-10 minutes. I know I wrote a lot but it really is so simple, the only time consuming thing is the boiling. There is a way to make it with just plain wheat flour but I don't know it and I've heard it takes a long time and tons of kneading. You need to do it with that special flour to make it easy. This recipe is a total concoction of things I've heard others do so by all means people, if anyone has a better method or recipe, please share"

No comments:

Post a Comment