Saturday, January 21, 2012

Homemade Grape Nuts Cereal

3 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat is fine!)
2 cups Milk or Soymilk
1 teaspoon soda bicarb
1 Tablespoon vinegar (white or apple cider)
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar

spice (as you like) I use ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. you can also add vanilla or maple flavour.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix ingredients and bake in two greased trays (I used to use 12 inch thalis when I made this in India)
bake until done, aprox 35-40 min.

Cool cakes on rack.

When completely cool, break the cakes into chunks and process it with a food processor or blender in spurts to break it up into small grapenuts size bits. return to pans and bake an additional hour at 250 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes or so...until dry and crunchy. Cool and store in airtight container.

If you are against vinegar, you can experiment with using lemon juice, but I cannot guarantee the results.

I used to make this whenever my hubby and I traveled in India....as it's light and keeps for long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment